Letter to the Editor: Today I am a Jew

Daniel Nussbaum

The fact that a resolution to divest from companies involved in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict passed is insignificant; a petty, symbolic statement has no effect on Northwestern’s investment portfolio. I care how it passed. I care why it passed.

The struggle between Israel and Palestine is a complicated issue catalyzed by years of war and aggression from both sides. If the resolution passed after a constructive debate on Israel’s actual policies, the result would not affect me the way it has. Unfortunately, that is not what happened.

Instead, we were told that Jews needed to ‘check their privilege.’ We were told that even though anti-Semitic attacks spread rapidly across Europe and the world, even though just last week 300 Jewish graves were destroyed in France, Jews are not an oppressed people. NUDivest argued, and succeeded in convincing the majority of ASG, that the conflict somehow represents a battle between “privileged” Jews pretending to be oppressed and the “true” minorities fighting for human rights.

I do not care what your opinions are on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I speak out neither in support nor opposition to Israel’s government. Personally, I have no strong opinions on the issue. I speak out only as a person who felt objectified, boxed-in and discriminated against by the dialogue.

This conflict is not — and we cannot allow it to become — a conflict between Jews and human rights.

This conflict is not — and we cannot allow it to become — a conflict between Jews and other minorities.

I rarely call myself a “Jew.” Yet today, I don’t have a choice.

I have no choice because regardless of my political views, fellow students branded me as a “white supremacist” Jew.

I have no choice because even though I am pro-peace, fellow students branded me as a “war-mongering” Jew.

I have no choice because even though I spent years campaigning against discrimination, fellow students branded me as a “racist,” minority-hating Jew.

I may not consider myself particularly “Jewish,” but today I am a Jew.

I urge everyone else, regardless of what position they may hold on the conflict, to stand with me.

Daniel Nussbaum

Weinberg ’18