Four Evanston restaurants to participate in Chicago Restaurant Week

Melissa Shin, Reporter

Four Evanston restaurants will participate in this year’s Chicago Restaurant Week, offering three-course meals at a fixed price.

For the next two weeks, Jan. 30 until Feb. 12, Quince at the Homestead, Farmhouse Evanston, Oceanique and Bistro Bordeaux will offer prix-fixe meals.

“The fact that we can participate in the broader Chicago event is great for our restaurants as far as bringing customers in,” said Paul Zalmezak, Evanston’s senior economic development coordinator.

Joe Jochens, assistant manager at Quince, 1625 Hinman Ave., said the timing of Chicago Restaurant Week works well because, for most restaurants, it is the slowest time of the year. Quince is taking the opportunity to showcase some of its regular menu items in a three-course meal for $44, he said.

“We’re pretty proud of everything that’s on our menu,” Jochens said. “It’s a genius idea.”

Jochens said the contemporary American restaurant has been keeping tabs on its visitors for the past five years, and for many people, the event is the only thing that’s bringing them back.

A more recent addition to Chicago Restaurant Week is Farmhouse, 703 Church St. As one of the largest restaurants in the city, the staff can serve more than 200 customers. It is the only restaurant out of the four that will offer a prix-fixe lunch menu, which will cost $22. Dinner will cost $33.

The menu Farmhouse has prepared for the event features its most popular items in the same portions as regularly-served portion sizes. Scott Hinden, the restaurant’s assistant general manager, said that customers often only order one item, such as the popular cheese curds.

“This is a chance for people to have the whole dining experience,” he said.

Those who prefer seafood will find it at Oceanique, 505 Main St. Normally, a three-course meal costs around $70, but the prix-fixe meal costs only $44. Mark Grosz, the owner and chef, said he recommends the Maine scallops.

Bistro Bordeaux, 618 Church St., will add French cuisine to the mix. Dinner is priced at $33 and features choices such as Parisian-style gnocchi and sirloin steak.