Evanston clinic to hold free Affordable Care Act enrollment fair

Julia Jacobs, Assistant City Editor

Erie Family Health Center will host a free fair on Jan. 31 where people can enroll in health care under the Affordable Care Act and learn about their health care options, the center announced Thursday.

The Obamacare Enrollment Fair, which is being held at the Evanston center for the second year, will provide enrollment assistance and information in both English and Spanish, according to the Erie Family Health Center. The event will cover what the health care exchange offers, how to access benefits and the effects of preventive and follow-up health care.

The fair will be held from 8 a.m-1 p.m. at Erie Evanston/Skokie Health Center, 1285 Hartrey Ave., and attendees do not have to be patients of the clinic.

The fair presents an opportunity to sign up for health care before the penalty for not being insured increases this year, according to Erie Family Health Center. This year, the fee increases to 2 percent of a household’s income or $325 (whichever is higher), according to HealthCare.gov. The enrollment period ends Feb. 15.

“These fairs will provide much needed outreach to enroll a greater number of individuals over the next three months,” said Iliana Mora, chief operating officer for Erie Family Health Center, in a news release.

Organizers will also discuss the criteria for Medicaid eligibility and the concept of a medical home.

Erie Family Health Center has planned five other enrollment fairs at several Chicago locations before the end of the enrollment period.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj