District 65 schools, Evanston Township High School closed Wednesday

Julia Jacobs, Assistant City Editor

Evanston Township High School and schools and centers in Evanston/Skokie School District 65 will close Wednesday due to below-freezing temperatures with extreme wind chills, ETHS and District 65 announced Tuesday.

The National Weather Service forecasts a wind chill of 30 to 35 degrees below zero Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. A wind chill warning will remain in effect until noon on Thursday.

“This decision has been made with the safety of our students and staff in mind,” according to a statement on the District 65 website.

District 65 custodial and maintenance staff and other 12-month employees should report to work, according to the statement.

District 65 schools and centers are currently scheduled to reopen on Thursday. However, the administration will continue to monitor the weather forecast and will notify families and staff via phone and email in the event of a change, officials said.

ETHS staff will also continue to monitor weather conditions to decide whether to reopen Thursday, according to a statement on the ETHS website. If there is no announcement, the school will reopen.

Evanston offices and recreational centers will remain open on Wednesday, according to the city’s website. In reaction to the school closings, Evanston recreational centers will hold extra open gym hours.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj