Northwestern trustees extend University President Morton Schapiro’s contract

University President Morton Schapiro speaks to members of the Northwestern community during a forum in 2013. Trustees announced Tuesday they had decided to extend Schapiros contract as president through August 2022.

Daily file photo by Melody Song

University President Morton Schapiro speaks to members of the Northwestern community during a forum in 2013. Trustees announced Tuesday they had decided to extend Schapiro’s contract as president through August 2022.

Jeanne Kuang, Managing Editor

Northwestern’s Board of Trustees has extended University President Morton Schapiro’s contract by three years, NU announced Tuesday.

The board lengthened Schapiro’s term to Aug. 31, 2022, the University said. Schapiro was chosen to be the University’s 16th president in December 2008 and began the position in September 2009.

“Northwestern continues to make significant strides under President Schapiro,” Board of Trustees Chair William Osborn said in a news release. “By extending his contract, we will ensure that the University will have continued stability and inspiring leadership into the next decade.”

Schapiro said in the news release he was “honored by this vote of confidence from the Board of Trustees.”

“I absolutely love being president of Northwestern University — there is no place else I would rather be,” he said.

Schapiro has taught an economics course on the economics of education. He also teaches a humanities course with Slavic languages and literature Prof. Gary Saul Morson on the concept of choices and alternatives.

Before coming to NU, he was president of Williams College from 2000 to 2009. Schapiro has also been a faculty member and administrator at the University of Southern California.

Twitter: @jeannekuang

Previous stories on this topic:

Schapiro talks Northwestern successes, future initiatives
    In Focus: Schapiro’s unconventional first 4 years marked by successes, controversies
    Northwestern trustees extend Schapiro’s contract