Illinois General Assembly passes ‘revenge porn’ bill

Bailey Williams, Development and Recruitment Editor

The Illinois General Assembly passed Wednesday a widely supported “revenge porn” bill that would ban the publication of sexually explicit pictures without the consent of the person depicted.

“It was a great day for Illinois,” said state Rep. Scott Drury (D-Highwood), who led legislation efforts for bill in the House. “Illinois took a big step in protecting women, young people, loved ones.”

The bill passed unanimously in the Senate and had wide support in the House, Drury said. It will now be sent to the desk of Gov. Pat Quinn for final approval.

State Sen. Michael Hastings (D-Tinley Park), the bill’s chief sponsor in the Senate, said anyone 18 or older who disseminates images meant to be private would be subject to punishment under the law.

Hastings said revenge porn is a generational issue stemming from the increased use of technology by younger generations.

“This is the ultimate form of cyberbullying,” he said. “This is the ultimate form of online harassment … it can ruin your professional reputation and have an emotional effect on you.”

Holly Jacobs, founder and director of End Revenge Porn, said victims tend to be those who have “grown up with technology.” End Revenge Porn, a campaign targeted at advocating for and supporting revenge porn victims, has worked with almost all states who have introduced revenge porn legislation, Jacobs said.

Since 2013, 13 states have passed legislation banning revenge porn.

Prior to the bill’s passage, the Senate and House each had their own bills aimed at the issue of revenge porn. The two houses of the Illinois General Assembly negotiated throughout the summer to pass the current legislation, Drury said.

Drury said he anticipated Quinn would sign the bill into law prior to finishing his term as governor in January.

“It traveled a rocky road, and there were moments when it looked like it might not happen,” Drury said. “(I) refused to give up and worked all summer with the Senate to get what I think is the strongest bill in the nation addressing revenge porn.”

Twitter: @news_BaileyW