Northwestern alum Mutahir Rauf killed in Rogers Park shooting

Tyler Pager, Breaking News Editor

Mutahir Rauf (Weinberg ’13) was killed Friday night during an attempted robbery near Loyola University Chicago’s campus in Rogers Park.

Rauf, 23, died of a gunshot wound to the chest, according to an autopsy done by the Cook County medical examiner’s office Saturday morning.

Rauf, who was completing post-baccalaureate pre-medical courses at Loyola, was walking with his brother when two attackers approached them in the 1200 block of West Albion Avenue, police said. One of the assailants pulled out a gun, and Rauf reached for it, believing it was a toy, according to Joe Moore, Chicago’s 49th ward alderman. During the scuffle, the gun went off and Rauf was killed.

Chicago police are investigating the shooting. No one is in custody, a Chicago Police Department spokeswoman told The Daily.

University spokesman Al Cubbage confirmed Rauf was an NU student Saturday night. He said he received a degree in psychology with a double major in science in human culture.

“The University extends its deepest sympathies and condolences to Mutahir’s family and friends,” he said in an email.

Jane Neufeld, Loyola’s vice president for student development, released a statement Saturday.

“We are shocked and saddened by the tragic and senseless event that took the life of one of our students on Friday evening,” she said. “This was a senseless act of violence, and one that has absolutely no place in a civil society.”

Loyola will hold various events for the community to honor Rauf in prayer services, but any future memorial service will be planned at the discretion of his family, who are traveling to Chicago from overseas.

This post was updated at 10 p.m. on Saturday.

Jeanne Kuang contributed reporting.

Twitter: @tylerpager