Panel discusses LGBT interests while studying abroad

Mariana Alfaro, Reporter

When Communication senior Bea Cordelia Sullivan-Knoff studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, she learned about the extra precautions members of the LGBT community have to take while abroad.

Sullivan-Knoff, who identifies as a queer transfeminine human being, hosted a discussion with a small group Monday at the Norris University Center to give students a chance to listen to stories and experiences of other students in the LGBT community who have studied abroad and ask questions about the aspects of living and socializing in other cultures.

“I wanted to make sure that there was a space for people who have not studied abroad who are interested in it but who might be concerned to have a place to get some of those questions answered or to hear other people’s experiences,” Sullivan-Knoff told The Daily.

The event, titled “Queer Overseas,” was hosted by the Study Abroad Office, the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center and Rainbow Alliance.

“It is necessary to look into legislation and popular opinions (of other countries),” Sullivan-Knoff told The Daily. “There are just a lot of extra considerations we as a community have to take into account when traveling to other cultures.”

The panel featured the experiences of three Northwestern students, including McCormick senior Alexander Yee, who studied abroad in China two years ago.

“There are gay people in China,” he said. “But it is a very cultural thing that you just don’t talk about. It’s just hidden.”

Yee, who stayed in Hong Kong but backpacked across China with friends soon after his program was over, acknowledged that though the LGBT experience is difficult in China, he had the chance to express himself in some of the country’s biggest cities.

“There are gay bars in big cities, like Beijing, even though it is the capital of the communist party,” he said. “Normally if you’re out in public, you get strange looks. Strange looks are the minimum. Glares and rages happen depending on the people … It really wasn’t that bad for me, personally.”

The panelists emphasized that LGBT students abroad should look for a special place or “pocket” where they can feel safe and are able to be themselves.

“Finding those little pockets is a good thing to do,” Sullivan-Knoff said.

Sullivan-Knoff also spoke about the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association, a group that provides support for LGBT students traveling abroad. The site features information about worldwide legislation regarding LGBT rights to help students research their host country before getting there.

“The most important thing is that each person knows how they identify, and if they can maintain that inner integrity above the times, they might have to sacrifice those things,” Sullivan-Knoff said. “And if that’s something they’re comfortable doing enough to merit still going on the adventure, I think it’s absolutely worth it.”

Twitter: @marianaa_alfaro