Evanston releases new Parks and Recreation mobile app

Evanston+launched+a+new+app+for+the+Parks%2C+Recreation+and+Community+Services+Department+at+City+Council+on+Monday.+The+app+allows+users+to+find+information+about+city+recreation+locations+and+upcoming+events.+

Source: EvanstonRec app

Evanston launched a new app for the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department at City Council on Monday. The app allows users to find information about city recreation locations and upcoming events.

Lydia Ramsey, Managing Editor

Evanston’s Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department launched a new mobile app at Monday’s City Council meeting.

Ray Doerner, program coordinator at the Chandler-Newberger Community Center, presented the app at the meeting.

“We’re excited about this app and the ability for our residents and participants to find information quickly about our department from a mobile device,” Doerner said.

At the meeting, Doerner highlighted the app’s features. The “Around me” tab uses smartphone GPS to identify nearby events and recreation locations. The “Calendar” tab lists all city events and allows users to sync upcoming events to their phones. The app can also send out push notifications.

It connects to the city’s Evanston Life guide, which provides information and news about community events.

The app can be downloaded from Apple’s App Store and on Google Play.

Twitter: @lydiaramsey125