Residents can pay wheel tax, parking permits starting Monday

Stephanie Kelly, Assistant City Editor

The city will begin accepting wheel tax payments from residents on Monday, and residents can purchase their residential parking permits for 2015 then as well, according to a news release from the city.

The wheel tax payment is required for all Evanston residents who have a registered car with the Illinois Secretary of State. This is the second year the city has gone “sticker-less,” and License Plate Recognition technology, which stores information about vehicles, will be used to check whether residents have paid, the news release said.

If the technology does not register that a vehicle’s sticker has been paid, staff will check whether the vehicle has a visitor pass or a sticker for anyone eligible to get one, the city’s website said.

Preprinted renewal notices will be mailed to residents Friday and will include an online ID for residents to have the option to pay the tax online, the news release said.

Residents who did not receive the preprinted notice or the information on the notice was not correct can pick up their application at the Civic Center starting Monday, the news release said. Applications will be available online on Monday as well.

Residents can also pay their wheel tax payments in person at the Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave., or the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, 1655 Foster St., or by mail.

The deadline to pay the tax and purchase parking permits is Dec. 15, the news release said. Residents who do not pay the tax before the deadline could receive a 50 percent increase in the amount due, according to the city’s website. A passenger car wheel tax will cost $113 rather than the original $75, the website said.

Residents could receive parking tickets for not paying the wheel tax, the news release said.

Twitter@StephanieKellyM