Police Blotter: Oct. 22

Paige Leskin, City Editor

Two attempt to rob cab driver

Two people tried to rob a cab driver Thursday night, police said.

The 30-year-old cab driver picked up a man near the intersection of Milwaukee Avenue and Lawrence Avenue in Chicago, Evanston police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The passenger instructed the Des Plaines driver to bring him near Asbury Avenue and Emerson Street in Evanston.

When the taxi neared the area, the passenger told the driver to go northbound on Wesley Avenue. About halfway up the street, the driver saw a person who the passenger said would pay the fare, Parrott said.

When the driver pulled over at about 9 p.m., the man on the street pulled out a handgun and demanded money the cab driver, police said. The passenger jumped out of the car and the taxi driver drove off, Parrott said.

Nothing was taken from the driver, police said. Both the passenger and the man in the street are described as black males. The man in the street was wearing a green hoodie, Parrott said.

Three arrested in connection with burglary of Evanston middle school

Police have arrested three high school students in connection with the burglary of an Evanston middle school Saturday, police said.

Students entered Chute Middle School, 1400 Oakton St., on Saturday afternoon when a basketball league was playing games at the school, Parrott said.

The students, who were high school-aged, entered a restricted area after getting past a gate and went into classrooms and lockers, Parrott said.

They took a Mac laptop, a small amount of cash, an iPad and a trumpet, police said. The incident was caught on video, Parrott said.

Evanston police have arrested three so far, officials said. Police believe that an additional student may be involved.

Twitter: @paigeleskin