Obama administration announces final Clery Act changes

Ciara McCarthy, Editor in Chief

The Obama administration announced Friday final changes to the Clery Act that will increase the reporting requirements for crimes on college campuses.

The changes require colleges that receive federal funding to collect data about incidents of dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking. Under the revisions, colleges must publish this information in yearly crime reports.

Northwestern included data on incidents of stalking for the first time in its 2013 yearly report, which showed an increase in sexual assault reports compared to previous years.

The changes also add gender identity and national origin as hate crime categories.

The new rules follow the 2013 reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act. The updates are part of the Obama administration’s larger effort to combat sexual assault on college campuses.

“These new rules require institutions to ensure that students and employees have vital information about crime on campus and the services and protections available to victims if a crime does occur, which will be significant assets in addressing the growing problems of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking on our nation’s campuses,” U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said in a news release.

The changes were formally published Monday in the Federal Register and will go into effect July 1, 2015.

Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara