Director of Risk Management retires after 16 years

Olivia Exstrum, Assistant Campus Editor

Director of Risk Management Christopher Johnson will be retiring from Northwestern on Dec. 5, said Ingrid Stafford, associate vice president and treasurer for Financial Operations, in an Oct. 17 email. Stafford highlighted Johnson’s contributions to the University during his 16 years in the position.

“Chris has been an advocate for the importance of training and education as a foundation for successful risk management,” she said in the email.

Stafford cited programs within the Office of Risk Management, such as those in “worker’s compensation, driver education, ergonomic evaluation and shop safety standards” for increasing safety for faculty, staff and students. She said Johnson was responsible for NU’s professional liability and general liability coverage through captive company Rubicon, Inc., maintenance of various academic and administrative facilities and development of student health insurance programs “to best fit the needs of its diverse student body.”

Johnson began his career in Evanston law enforcement and joined NU in 1992 as assistant director of risk management. He has served with multiple University groups, including the Students Publishing Co. board of directors, Norris University Center Advisory Board and the Campus Safety and Crime Prevention Committee.

The search for Johnson’s successor is expected to be underway shortly.

Twitter: @olivesocean