Domino’s eyes Evanston for new location

Paige Leskin, City Editor

Northwestern students may soon have yet another option to order late night pizza.

National pizza chain Domino’s Pizza is looking to open its doors at 911 Foster St. in Evanston, located next to the Foster Street CTA station.

The chain’s new location is up for discussion at the city’s Site Plan and Appearance Review Committee on Wednesday. Staff will vote to recommend approval of the pizza place to the Zoning Board of Appeals.

Currently, the closest Domino’s location to Evanston is in Wilmette, 350 Ridge Road. However, much of Evanston is located outside of the store’s delivery zone, making delivery unavailable to NU students.

Staff from Domino’s submitted paperwork Friday to apply for a permit, said Lorrie Pearson, the city’s planning and zoning division manager. The permit will allow for owners to do interior design work at the location, she said.

Domino’s will add to the influx of pizza restaurants the city has seen wanting to open in Evanston over the last few months, the city’s community development director Mark Muenzer said.

“We really have every type, from national chains like Domino’s to these much more specialty brands like 800 Degrees (Neapolitan Pizzeria) and Blaze (Pizza) and things like that,” Muenzer said. “The Foster Street business district is underutilized and has a lot of potential with all those storefronts there and the El station.”

If staff from both committees recommend Domino’s permit, owners will go in front of City Council for final approval.

Other pizza places coming to Evanston in the upcoming months include thin-crust place 800 Degrees Neapolitan Pizzeria, Blaze Pizza and Bake 425.

Twitter:
@paigeleskin