Big Sean to headline A&O Blowout concert

Big+Sean

Source: A&O Productions

Big Sean

Alice Yin, Assistant Campus Editor

Hip-hop rapper Big Sean will be the main act for Friday’s Blowout concert, A&O Productions announced Monday.

Last week, A&O hinted at the headliner through a silhouette photo released on Facebook. The opening act for the concert will be announced this week.

“He’s very high energy, people really know his music, he has a bunch of top hits,” said Communication senior Morgan Hecht, A&O director of concerts. “We think his energy and his music will be a great way to kick off the year for A&O and for everyone.”

Big Sean, who debuted with “Finally Famous” in 2011 under Kanye West’s label, has won numerous Black Entertainment Television Awards and has received two Grammy nominations for his feature in West’s song “Mercy.” On Sept. 12, Big Sean announced he signed on with Jay-Z’s label and released a four-song extended play record.

Bienen senior Lucas Messore, who DJs and produces music, will perform under his stage name Anleu as the student opener at the beginning of the concert. Messore won Battle of the DJs and performed at Dillo Day this year. A&O worked with WNUR Streetbeat to choose the student act.

“Our goal as A&O is to bring entertainment to campus but we do have a big resource of entertainment via the students on campus,” Hecht said. “So we’re working with Streetbeat, which has a very similar mission.”

A video with University President Morton Schapiro promoting the tradition of Blowout will be released later this week. Schapiro established the concert, now in its sixth year, with A&O when he became president.

Tickets for the annual concert go on sale Monday morning at the Norris Box Office. Doors open at Welsh-Ryan Arena at 6:30 p.m. on Friday. The concert will begin at 7 p.m.

A&O spokeswoman Emily Howell said the first 100 seniors who purchase a ticket will be provided with floor wristbands, which allow attendees into the pit in front of the stage. Another handful of these wristbands will be given out through a system which will be announced later this week, Howell said. The rest will be given out first-come, first-serve the day of the event.

Howell said in the past, about 400 wristbands were given out. The exact number is determined by a fire marshall the day of the show.

A&O is partnering with NU Ski Trip for the second year in a row to promote Blowout. Ski Trip is announcing this year’s mountain at the concert. In addition, every person who purchases a Blowout ticket is entered in a raffle to win a free trip.

Correction: Based on updated information from A&O, this post has been edited to more accurately reflect NU Ski Trip’s involvement. 

Twitter: @alice__yin