Evanston to take part in day of service

Rebecca Savransky, Managing Editor

Evanston is making its own contribution to a national community service day by hosting a volunteering event next month.

The United Way Evanston Day of Caring, which will be held Oct. 25, is sponsored by the city, Northwestern, Rotary International, NorthShore University HealthSystem and First Bank & Trust. The event is meant to attract 300 volunteers to work on multiple projects around the city and for different organizations throughout the day.

“The United Way Evanston Day of Caring event is a great opportunity for community members to come together to show support for local organizations that play a tremendous role in making our city one-of-a-kind,” Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl said in a news release.

The volunteer opportunities are at Evanston/Skokie School District 65, Youth Organizations Umbrella and Connections for the Homeless, among others. People will be able to participate in many activities throughout the day, such as mentorship opportunities, donation sorting and park cleanup.

The event is part of USA Weekend Magazine’s Make a Difference Day, the largest national day of community service. The campaign has been going on for more than 20 years and brings out more than 1 million volunteers throughout the country annually.

Twitter: @beccasavransky