Evanston prepares for sustainability festival

Jennifer Ball, Assistant City Editor

More than 80 green businesses and organizations will showcase displays at Saturday’s Evanston Green Living Festival.

The annual festival, hosted by the Evanston Environmental Association and the city, will take place at the Evanston Ecology Center, 2024 McCormick Blvd. The event aims to teach residents how to reduce their carbon footprint through the presentation of green products and other services to generate ideas for attendees, according to its website.

The festival centers on Sustain Evanston’s Livability Plan, which focuses on reducing the city’s greenhouse gas emissions 20 percent by 2016. Evanston has similarly tried to reduce its emissions in the past. In 2008, the city developed a Climate Action Plan and reached a 13 percent emissions reduction goal in 2013.

To teach citizens about the Livability Plan, the festival will have a “Livability Hub,” according to its website. It will also feature a Green Market to house exhibits, demonstrations on alternative transportation, composting and other attractions.

Northwestern’s Tiny House, started in 2010 in an engineering class, will also be featured. It is a 128-square-foot house that was made to generate its own water and electricity to accommodate one person living in it for a year in a Chicago climate. After the festival, the house will stay at the Ecology Center to teach center visitors about sustainable living.

The festival is supported through sponsors and will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Twitter: @jennifercball