Evanston City Council approves $50K for Cradle to Career education initiative

Tyler Pager, Breaking News Editor

City Council approved $50,000 in funding Monday night for Cradle to Career, ​a long-term initiative​ that aims to mobilize community organizations and schools to improve a child’s educational experience.

The city agreed to enter into a one-year pilot partnership, which city manager Wally Bobkiewicz will negotiate.

The initiative focuses on the goal that “by the age of 23, all Evanston young adults will be leading productive lives, building on the resources, education and support that they and their families have had to help them grow into resilient, educated, healthy, self-sufficient and socially responsible adults.”​

Ald. Delores Holmes (5th) said she was a strong supporter of the program and would maintain an active role in following it.

“I think that for the city to become a partner with the rest of the community, the school districts, Northwestern and many of the not-for-profit organizations as well as businesses, just shows the commitment that we have to make sure all of our kids have to move on not only to college, but to a career so that they can all become productive citizens in the community,” she told The Daily.

Holmes added that organizers hope to hire an executive director to lead and oversee​ the​ initiative by the end of November.

Council also introduced a proposal that would authorize Bobkiewicz to negotiate the lease and sale of the Harley Clarke Mansion to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. ​The state agency first expressed interest in the property in October 2013, shortly after the city had rejected an offer from local billionaire Jennifer Pritzker.​

Although aldermen did not ​discuss the ordinance, many citizens expressed concern over the landmark, 2603 Sheridan Road, whose future has been at the center of debate for several years.

Evanston resident Barbara Janes said it is essential the property remain in the public domain and in line with the city’s Lakefront Master Plan, adopted in 2008 as an outline for any future renovation projects on the lakefront.

Janes, along with other residents, urged the council to make the sale agreement available to the public before it is voted on.

Aldermen will vote on the ​ordinance at the next council meeting on Sept. 22.

Correction: Due to an editing error, a previous version of this story misstated the date when the council will vote on the Harley Clarke Mansion proposal. The council will vote on the issue at its Sept. 22 meeting. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @tylerpager

Previous stories on these topics:

City council to vote on education initiative
    ‘Game-changing’ initiative aims to shape entire Evanston community
    State agency details plan for Harley Clarke Mansion