Nimalan Chinniah selected as Northwestern’s executive vice president

Tyler Pager, Assistant Summer Editor

Nimalan Chinniah has been named Northwestern’s executive vice president, the University announced Monday. He will succeed Eugene Sunshine (Weinberg ’71) who is retiring after 17 years at NU.

(Eugene Sunshine set to retire from Northwestern after 17 years)

At NU, Chinniah will lead all business and financial operations and help guide the University’s global strategy. In addition, he will lead the Office of Human Resources, University Services, the Investment Office and the Office of Change Management.

Chinniah currently serves as executive vice president for administration and chief financial officer at the University of Chicago. Chinniah previously worked at Vanderbilt University.

“We are very excited to have Nim Chinniah join Northwestern,” University President Morton Schapiro said in a news release. “His steady leadership throughout his academic career, most recently as a chief financial officer at one of the world’s best universities, undoubtedly, will serve Northwestern well in the coming years.”

Chinniah has also served on the board of the Chicago Children’s Choir and the University of Chicago Charter School’s governing board.

“Nim’s service leadership on community boards and organizations is a key strength that we value highly,” Schapiro said. “The University is especially committed to connecting with the communities in which it is located and to sharing its expertise.”

Chinniah will assume his new role Sept. 8.

Twitter: @tylerpager