Top 5 Dillo Day beauty tips

Elizabeth Santoro, Beauty Columnist

It’s here the day you will probably take the most selfies in a 24-hour period. Between the parties, concerts, mud pits and crowd clashing, you need to make sure your face is still ready for the camera.

Here are some tips for looking your best.

Tip 1: Sunscreen

This should be obvious, but in case you didn’t think of it, please wear sunscreen. You’ll be living in the Dillo moment and might have some regrets the next morning, but a lobster red burn shouldn’t be one.

So apply sunscreen. Just do it.

Tip 2: Minimal eyeliner

While applying some cool, intricate eyeliner seems like the trendy way to attend a festival, the odds of it lasting the whole day are slim, and you will probably end up with a blotchy black mask.

So to keep your photos lovable from morning to night without turning into a raccoon, try to limit the amount of eyeliner and apply it only on the top.

A simple line that covers just the top line of the eye with mascara is all you need to make your eyes pop.  A wing or bottom liner will run off the eye and form a black shadow around the lower part of your eye.

Also waterproof mascara and liner never hurts. After all, your biggest opponent on Dillo Day is sweating.

Tip 3: Tinted BB cream

Keep your face makeup relatively basic by applying primer or a face moisturizer and then a tinted BB cream. The primer/moisturizer will help the BB cream stay and give an overall smoother look. For blemishes you want covered, apply a cream-based concealer it will stick better to your face. Apply pea-sized amounts of foundation where further coverage is needed.

Tip 4: Makeup setting spray

When you finish your makeup, apply a makeup setting spray. This spray basically applies a protective cover over your makeup that will make it more resistant to fading or melting. Seriously, this product will save you because it’s specifically made to last all day. Try Model in a Bottle’s Original Setting Spray or Urban Decay’s All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray.  

Tip 5: Pack the fanny

Now when you’re out in the field, both literally and figuratively speaking, you should have your fanny pack stocked with lots of blotting papers, a volumizing mascara and compact bronzer. Here’s why:

Blotting papers: To prevent you from having shine spots in your pics, press blotting papers to your skin. This will remove excess oil, makeup and sweat. Your camera will love you for using blotting papers.

Volumizing mascara: This is just for reapplication during the day. The volumizing part helps maintain your eyeliner because some of the thick mascara will stay near the top lash line.

Compact bronzer: While those blotting papers have prevented you from creating a reflection, they also take off your makeup. The bronzer is to reapply color to your face. Plus, the mirror is great for quick check-ups.

In general, simple makeup is what you want. Natural colors with a few accent colors are the way to go.  With too many colors combined with daytime glistening (aka sweating), you risk color bleeding.

Here’s to a Happy Dillo and beautiful Instagram photos all day long.