Blotter: May 5

Ciara McCarthy, Managing Editor

Man arrested after allegedly kissing 11-year-old Evanston girl

Officers arrested a Chicago man Monday more than a year after he kissed an 11-year-old Evanston girl on the mouth, police said.

Police arrested Victor Soto on Monday evening at his home in the 2200 block of North Kilbourn Avenue. Soto, 26, previously lived in Evanston, where he was a neighbor of the girl. Soto engaged in “inappropriate physical contact” with the girl, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said.

The alleged incident occurred between Dec. 12, 2012, and Jan. 1, 2013, police said. The child’s parents reported it to police on Jan. 10 of last year.

Detectives investigated the case for over a year and had a difficult time locating Soto, Parrott said. Soto was charged with battery and is scheduled to appear in court May 21.

Police arrested man in connection with battery in central Evanston

Police arrested a homeless man Tuesday night after he punched an Evanston resident.

A 49-year-old Evanston resident was walking in the 500 block of Lee Street when a man, who told police he was homeless, approached him and asked for money. The resident refused, at which point the man got angry and struck the resident in the face multiple times, Parrott said. Officers responded to the scene after a witness called police and arrested the man in the 1000 block of Chicago Avenue. The Evanston resident did not sustain any serious injuries, Parrott said.

The man is scheduled to appear in court May 29.

Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara