Gov. Quinn grants D65 funding for environmental education program

Sophia Bollag, City Editor

Evanston/Skokie School District 65 will receive nearly $40,000 to fund an initiative to teach water literacy to elementary and middle school students, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn announced Saturday.

The money is part of $1.6 million in federally-funded coastal grants for conservation and in environmental education initiatives in the state, both announced by the governor this weekend. The money was awarded through the Illinois Coastal Management Program.

District 65 is among 17 organizations and educational institutions receiving the grants. In addition to public school districts, private schools like Loyola University Chicago and museums like the Chicago Academy of Sciences were also awarded money on Saturday.

The grant awarded to District 65 will fund a program to teach third- and sixth-grade students about local water issues, specifically stormwater management.

Several state communities were also granted funds for building green infrastructure and environment reconstruction.

“Not only will these projects help protect and restore critical habitat along Lake Michigan, but they will help educate the next generation of conservationists and naturalists that will continue the mission,” said Marc Miller, director of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, in a news release.

Twitter: @SophiaBollag