Blotter: April 21

Ciara McCarthy, Managing Editor

Police arrest eight in single night on Jackson Avenue

While in the process of arresting an Evanston man Wednesday evening, police took five additional individuals into custody after they attempted to intervene in the initial arrest. Police returned later the same night to arrest two more individuals in the same block.

Officers responded to a report of a man with a gun in the 1900 block of Jackson Avenue at about 9:15 p.m. on Wednesday. Police attempted to take Evanston resident Darnell Gunn into custody in connection with threatening police when five bystanders got involved, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The five individuals were being “uncooperative” and attempting to disrupt the officers while they took Gunn, 33, into custody, Parrott said. Gunn was charged with aggravated assault, and the other individuals were arrested in connection with obstructing a police officer.

Police returned to Jackson Avenue about an hour later, when a second report of a man with a gun was received. Police detained two individuals after the report was received.

Shell casings found in south Evanston

Police responded early Thursday morning to a shots fired call in the 700 block of Reba Place.

There were no witnesses and no victims reported to police, but officers found multiple shell casings in an alley, Parrott said.

Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara