Letter to the Editor: Julia and Erik deserve your vote

Victor Shao and Brad Stewart

When we ran for Associated Student Government President and Vice President two years ago, we asked students to express themselves. The stories that followed inspired us.  Northwestern is not perfect — far from it. But, the only way to leave the school a better place than it was when we arrived was to start by listening to the stories of our fellow Wildcats.

The Northwestern community needs leaders who are willing to listen to their peers. They will hear stories of academic triumph, of excellence in arts and of millions of dollars raised for charity. They will hear stories of unfathomable success and accomplishment. But they will also hear stories of unfathomable pain and injustice. It is our responsibility as Wildcats to fight so that no student at Northwestern ever again finds himself or herself feeling alone with nowhere to turn. It is our responsibility not just to celebrate the successes but also to fight for our peers whose experiences at Northwestern have been far from what they imagined when they stepped on campus for the first time.

Only those who prioritize listening can harness the power of stories to strengthen our community. Since we first met Julia Watson as a freshman, she has embodied this philosophy. Through her actions, she has proven time and again that she understands the only way to engage and empower is to start by listening. Julia is one of the most authentic and hardworking people we’ve had the pleasure to know at Northwestern, and her running mate, Erik Zorn, is equally impressive. We first met Erik while he was president of Chapin Residential College and later worked with him in his role as RCB president. As many can, and will, attest, Erik passionately loves Northwestern and has worked tirelessly in his time on campus to make the community a better place.

Julia and Erik have the determination, passion, and practical experience needed to engage and empower the entire Northwestern community. It is with great pride that we offer them our endorsement for the positions of ASG President and Executive Vice President.

In our time at Northwestern, we were incredibly lucky to work with an unbelievable number of passionate and intelligent students. Northwestern is stronger together than apart. We firmly believe collaboration between all of the ASG candidates is in the best interest of the Northwestern community. We have seen firsthand the passion that Ronak Patel brings to our campus.  He is as genuine a person as there is and would serve ASG incredibly well in the coming year. We strongly urge Julia and Erik, should they win, to find a spot for Ronak on their executive board.

The only way to leave Northwestern a better place than when you arrived on campus is to make your voice heard. Vote for Julia and Erik because they want to hear your story. Vote for Julia and Erik because your experience matters.  But regardless of whom you vote for on April 9, don’t forget to express yourself.

Go ‘Cats!

Victor Shao
Former ASG President, NU Class of ‘13

Brad Stewart
Former ASG Executive Vice President, NU Class of ‘13