Johnny Mercer Songwriters Project to hold summer workshop at Northwestern

Rebecca Savransky, Assistant Campus Editor

The 9th Annual Johnny Mercer Foundation Songwriters Project will be held at Northwestern this summer as part of a joint effort between the Johnny Mercer Foundation and NU’s American Music Theatre Project. 

The event, which will take place June 22-28, will include a week-long workshop for aspiring songwriters. At the end of the week, program participants, master teachers and other individuals will showcase their work in a public concert led by award-winning master teachers Craig Carnelia, Andrew Lippa and Lari White.

The American Music Theatre Production is an organization focused on bringing several leading music theater artists to campus to work with students and faculty and works in partnership with the Mercer Foundation. The organization strives to form connections between professional and academic communities.

The summer workshop is free to attend for selected participants, and the organization provides housing accommodations and stipends for traveling and meal expenses. Those interested in the workshop must apply by March 28. Last year, more than 100 individuals applied for 12 available spots.

Attendees of the workshop in the past have used the program as a catalyst for their career and have received several prestigious awards.

Twitter: @beccasavransky