Letter to the Editor: ASG backs petition calling for change to sexual violence policies

Noah Star and ASG Executive Board

In light of the recent online petition for change in how Northwestern handles cases of sexual violence, the Associated Student Government echoes the same sentiment to throw the force of the entire student body behind this movement. Students, professors and administrators alike recognize the pressing need for reform in order to rectify the error evidenced by the current Title IX complaint against the University and to protect future students.

We are not alone in this realization. For one, the Obama administration acknowledges the severity of sexual violence on college campuses and has created a corresponding task force to protect student welfare. There’s a need for discussion but most importantly a need for action on this campus.

The safety of NU students and staff, gender equality and academic freedom all contribute to the bustling, thriving intellectual metropolis that is NU. But each of those three values are put in danger with inadequate sexual violence protection for students. There has been a failure to protect, to communicate and to support NU students and faculty. This failure requires correction, an action that we stand behind.

Just this Wednesday, the ASG Senate passed a resolution requesting the immediate suspension and subsequent dismissal of any community member found in violation of University sexual assault policies. Inaction in these cases is detrimental to the physical and emotional safety of our student body.

In addition, NU’s sexual assault policies require reform in order to meet the needs of the University community. Similar to the online petition, the aforementioned resolution enumerates seven areas of needed reform in order to ensure safety. While NU has made recent progress in updating their sexual assault policies, there is still room for improvement. As the Title IX complaint illustrates, this process is flawed. But it can be fixed.

We hope, as student representatives, our resolution and the petition can help fuel a successful push for policy reform. The Board of Trustees must take notice. Professors are taking a stand; students are taking a stand. We will not give up because our safety is on the line. It’s time the University comes on board too. What has been done cannot be undone, but now is the time for meaningful action to protect the NU community.

Noah Star, NCDC Senator
ASG Executive Board