Letter to the Editor: Alcoholics Anonymous to meet weekly in Seabury Hall

Dear Campus and Community Members,

We are writing to announce the formation of a new Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book and 12 Steps & 12 Traditions Group. It will meet in Seabury Hall, Room 260, located at 2122 Sheridan Rd. in Evanston, on Thursday nights from 8:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. The building can be accessed from its front doors facing Haven Street or its rear doors facing the parking lot and Garrett Place — currently no access exists from Sheridan Road. Both of these entrances provide access for those that have physical limitations, and an elevator is located in the main hall off of the foyer. In addition, a third entrance close to the rear doors opens to a stairwell directly leading to the meeting location. Room 260 is on the second floor and is, for reference only, near the Graduate Student Commons. Our first meeting will be on Thursday, Feb. 6, and it will continue to meet on that day and time for the foreseeable future. In accordance with the tenets and traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, we will remain unaffiliated with Northwestern University, its administration and its community. The presence of this group on campus is simply to provide a meeting location which is proximate to those in the area; it is therefore neither restricted to, nor catered towards, any one group. This meeting is open to anyone who has the desire to stop drinking.

Dean of Students Todd Adams has co-signed this letter as an acknowledgment of our presence on campus and of the permission to utilize University space. It is not included here as an endorsement of Alcoholics Anonymous from Northwestern University or acceptance of any type of endorsement by Alcoholics Anonymous.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other so that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. Alcoholics Anonymous is fully self-supporting from the contributions of its own members; does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, creed, religious belief or non-belief, political ideology, socio-economic status, professional status, physical limitation or any other inadvertently omitted aspect; stands without opinion on such matters; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorsing nor opposing any cause and does not consider or accept any financial support from any outside individuals or organizations, including Northwestern University. This group does not, nor ever will, report to any overseeing body or outside organization, including Northwestern University, its administration or its community. It does not take attendance, either formally or informally. Its only purpose for existing is to provide support, under the founding premise of anonymity, for those who have the desire to stop drinking. That desire has been, and will forever remain, the only requirement for attendance.

Sincerely,

Anon

Todd Adams
Dean of Students & Assistant Vice President
Northwestern University