Father of slain man persists in lawsuit against Evanston

John Bamberg, the father of 23-year-old slain Evanston man, is suing the city and its police and fire departments. Bamberg claimed the city did not respond timely to his son’s shooting.
Source: YouTube screenshot

The father of a slain Evanston man filed an amended lawsuit Wednesday against the city. The federal lawsuit alleges city departments responded too slowly after his son’s shooting in 2012.

John Bamberg originally sued the city in September. Evanston officials filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit in November, and Bamberg responded with an amended complaint, Bamberg’s attorney Aleks Djordjevich said. 

Bamberg’s son Javar, 23, was shot to death December 2012 in the 1700 block of Grey Avenue. Police have made no arrests in connection with the case but say it is related to an ongoing gang feud in Evanston.

(Updated: Targeted murder in west Evanston latest in bloody family feud)

Bamberg’s amended lawsuit alleges the city violated Equal Protection and Section 1983 clauses in the aftermath of his son’s shooting, Djordjevich said.

“Basically the father is alleging that due to his race, the police kind of dragged their feet on getting the emergency medical attention he needed to survive,” Djordjevich said.

The suit contends that Javar was alive and conscious when police arrived on the scene and that they failed to notify emergency personnel in a timely manner, he added. 

Djordjevich, of the law firm Anthony J. Peraica & Associates, Ltd., said he expects the city to file a second motion to dismiss this month.

Evanston declined to comment because the city does not publicly address ongoing investigations.

Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara