Council to discuss downtown Wi-Fi network

Evanston City Council is scheduled to discuss the creation of a downtown Wi-Fi network Monday during its first meeting of the year.

Council will review a potential agreement with AT&T that would provide free wireless access throughout sections of downtown Evanston. The company would use city light poles to install Wi-Fi and would be responsible for maintaining the network, according to city documents. The council will recommend action for city manager Wally Bobkiewicz to take on the proposed agreement.

A proposed lease agreement with the Northwest Center Against Sexual Abuse for space at the Lorraine H. Morton Civic Center is also up for consideration. Northwest CASA provides free services to sexual assault survivors. The center operates in the north and northwestern suburbs of Cook County. Depending on council’s recommendation, the city manager may negotiate a rental contract with Northwest CASA at $250 per month, according to city documents.

Evanston’s aldermen will also discuss revisions to the Water Supply Transmission Main Study. The city currently works with neighboring communities Niles, Morton Grove and Park Ridge, and will renegotiate the study to work with Glenview. This discussion will continue Evanston’s work selling water to neighboring communities, according to the city’s website.

Two new restaurants are up to receive special use permits Monday, including Harold’s Chicken Shack, 337 Howard St., and DMK Burger Bar and Fish Bar, 815 Noyes St.

Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara