Feinberg professor says he wrote anonymous resignation letter singling out student conduct

Mark Waymack
Source: Loyola University Chicago
Mark Waymack

Feinberg Prof. Mark Waymack said Tuesday night he authored the anonymous resignation letter read at this week’s City Council meeting.

Waymack, an adjunct associate professor in the medical school’s department of humanities and bioethics, wrote he will leave his job and move from his home in the 1st Ward after putting up with what he called a “steady increase” in student misbehavior ranging from excessive trash to property damage.

“I am simply worn down. Last weekend’s Dillo Day was the straw that broke the camel’s back,” Waymack wrote to University President Morton Schapiro, according to a reading by Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) at the council meeting Monday night.

University spokesman Al Cubbage said Schapiro has seen the letter.

“We’re sorry to hear that the neighbor feels our students’ behavior has been troublesome, as we always want to be good neighbors,” Cubbage wrote in an email to The Daily. “We wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Waymack said he holds the NU administration responsible for having to deal with what he sees as a growing number of disturbances from a small group of students.

“Does the University really try to act upon its notion of ‘good neighbor?'” Waymack wrote in an email to The Daily. “Even if a university professed not to teach citizenship or values, the modeling of such behavior outside of the curriculum in the university’s own conduct is teaching by example. So, what should we stand for?”

Patrick Svitek contributed reporting.

— Edward Cox