What to watch this summer

Northwestern students are busy pretty much year-round, but summer tends to be more relaxed — as in, there’s more time to watch TV. Amidst internships, summer courses and all the other amazing things Wildcats do in the summer, here are the shows to tune into.

“Rookie Blue,” 9 p.m. Thursdays on ABC

Season four starts with Andy McNally back at her precinct after an undercover operation. After three seasons of building romantic tension, finally becoming a couple and then fighting with each other, Andy and Sam Swarek are off after Andy sees Sam kissing his new girlfriend, creating what will turn into a love triangle or temporary obstacle for their relationship. With the long looks these two exchange, though, their attraction to each other is here to stay, along with the dramatic cases their precinct handles.

“MasterChef,” 7 p.m. Wednesdays on Fox

Home cooks, pressure-cooker challenges and a team of three mentors help balance out Gordon Ramsay’s outrageousness. The last three seasons were all won by female contestants, so maybe this run will give the men a chance to shine.

“Whose Line is it Anyway?,” premieres 7 p.m. July 16 on The CW

Wayne Brady, Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie are back, but Drew Carey is not (probably too busy with “The Price is Right”). Aisha Tyler has taken over for Carey as the new host. Not sure if the show is still funny? Watch a preview of the revived series.

“Zach Stone is Gonna be Famous,” 9:30 p.m. Thursdays on MTV

The scripted show stars comedian Bo Burnham as a high school graduate who hires a camera crew to film him so he can become famous. Burnham is an intelligent guy, and he brings Zach Stone to life as a character worth watching each week.

“Camp,” premieres 9 p.m. July 10 on NBC

I doubt this show is going to emerge as a brilliant series, but with Rachel Griffiths, who was a great leading actress on “Brothers & Sisters,” at the helm as Mackenzie Granger, the owner of Little Otter family camp, it will be entertaining to watch. This is the kind of show that really fits with the relaxed summer vibe.

“America’s Got Talent,” premieres 8 p.m. June 4 on NBC, with multiple episodes a week

New judges, new acts and the same craziness. Heidi Klum and Mel B are joining judges Howard Stern and Howie Mandel and host Nick Cannon. Watch it for the breadth of talent and the eccentricities contestants exhibit.

“American Ninja Warrior,” premieres 7 p.m. July 1 on NBC

This show makes audiences feel both inspired, awed and inadequate when they watch people try to complete some of the world’s toughest obstacle courses in a series of rounds until the final contestants try a course only three people in the world have completed. The stories are uplifting and watching contestants battle through these physically demanding tasks is engrossing.

“Breaking Bad” premieres 9 p.m. August 11 on AMC  and “Dexter” begins 8 p.m. June 30 on Showtime

It’s the final season for these two incredible shows. Need I say more?

What to watch this summer