Evanston Public Library to launch hands-on education program this summer

The Evanston Public Library will be one of 34 sites in the nation to host a new, hands-on education program for kids and teens this summer.

Maker Corps, a program created by the Maker Education Initiative, emphasizes an involved and active learning approach. EPL will host the pilot program this summer thanks to young adult librarian Renee Neumeier, who learned about the program and decided to bring it to the city.

“We want to put technology and information at the fingertips of everyone, and one of our goals is to give learning opportunities to youth of all ages,” Neumeier said.

Neumeier will work with two Maker Corps members, including SESP sophomore Grace Casimer, to design and implement the curriculum.

Casimer said she loves traditional arts and crafts and became interested in this program because she was passionate about both creating and educating.

“I think a lot of times kids are very much disenchanted with the school environment,” she said. “(This program) enables kids to move and interact with their surroundings.”

Casimer said the research-based approach of Maker Corps allows kids to learn by doing instead of memorizing. She said some of the lessons will allow kids and teens to learn about circuitry, music and robotics.

— Ciara McCarthy