Rapper Danny Brown to perform at Dillo Day

Hip-hop artist Danny Brown will perform during the afternoon on Dillo Day. Brown is the first artist confirmed to play at the June 1 music festival.
Source: Facebook

Hip-hop artist Danny Brown will return to his Midwestern roots this June as a midday act on Dillo Day.

The Detroit-born artist will perform from 3 to 4 p.m. on June 1. After starting as a member of Reser’vor Dogs , Brown is known for his 2011 mixtape “XXX” and his Detroit State of Mind series.

Brown will appear at the same time rapper Kendrick Lamar took the Dillo Day stage last year. Brown has collaborated with Lamar in the past, as well as rappers A$AP Rocky and Lil B.

Mayfest concerts director Xander Shepherd said Brown’s “hype on campus” and student feedback contributed to his selection for this year’s lineup. Shepherd cited Brown’s recent appearances at music festivals Coachella and South by Southwest make him a topical choice for the mid-afternoon set.

“Danny Brown is somebody known for really high-energy performances, something that we think are perfect for a daytime act at Dillo Day,” the Weinberg junior said.

Mayfest co-chair Jeremy Shpizner said Brown’s performance style and recent addition to the Mad Decent Block Party tour make him a good fit.

“We really over the past couple of years have tried to spread out the talent throughout the day to keep people engaged on the Lakefill,” the Communication senior said. “We think he’s just going to be a perfect fit for that slot.”

Brown made headlines last week after a controversial concert in Minneapolis. While he was performing, a female fan reportedly rushed the stage, pulled down his pants and performed oral sex on him against his will, according to the New York Daily News.

— Lauren Caruba