Northwestern announces two new programs in Israel

Northwestern will offer two new study abroad programs for undergraduate students at Tel Aviv University in Israel starting Spring Quarter 2014, the Office of International Program Development announced Tuesday.

The programs are titled “The Modern State of Israel: Politics, Economics, and Ethnicity” and “Public Health in Israel.” They include four courses taught in English that will count toward NU requirements.

Before January, all NU programs in Israel were sponsored by the Fiedler-Hillel Center because the Study Abroad and International Program Development offices did not run programs in countries subjected to the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning. However, the University changed its policy in November, allowing IPD to launch three new programs in Israel. In January, the University launched the Tel Aviv University undergraduate exchange program, which allowed NU students to take courses in a broad range of fields, such as computer science, economics, political science and Jewish and Hebrew Studies.

The new programs are more specialized opportunities the office has been planning since the University announced the policy change in the fall.

Middle East studies Prof. Elie Rekhess will lead the new programs. “The Modern State of Israel” will explore the nation’s history beyond religion, particularly as “the largest immigrant-absorbing nation,” according to the office.

In addition to courses, students will visit immigrant locations and take field trips to famous sites. “Public Health in Israel” will delve into the country’s nationalized health system and medical relief delivery in disaster situations.

Cat Zakrzewski