4 Northwestern football players moving on to NFL

More than 250 picks went by in the 2013 NFL Draft, and no Northwestern football players heard their names called. But that doesn’t mean it’s the end of the road for a handful of graduating NU seniors.

Defensive lineman Brian Arnfelt and offensive lineman Patrick Ward were the first to report their signings with NFL teams, both announcing the news on Twitter. Arnfelt agreed to terms with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Ward will join the Miami Dolphins.

Wide receiver Demetrius Fields will stay local after accepting an invitation to the Chicago Bears’ camp, and linebacker David Nwabuisi will try out with the Carolina Panthers.

Guard Brian Mulroe, who was thought by many to be the best NU prospect heading into the draft, decided to retire from football and landed a job with Aon, an insurance and risk management company.

Overall, the Big Ten had a down year in the NFL Draft. Only one Big Ten player, Wisconsin offensive lineman Travis Frederick was drafted in the first round. Only 22 of 254 total draftees hailed from the Big Ten — the lowest number since 1994. Illinois, which finished last in the Big Ten in 2012, had the most players selected at four. Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin followed with three players each. Soon-to-be Big Ten school Rutgers had seven players drafted.

Two Wildcats were drafted last year: wide receiver Jeremy Ebert to the New England Patriots and superback Drake Dunsmore to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.