Blotter: Feb. 19

Alleged altercation in front of Jewel leads to double-arrest

Evanston Police responded to a call of battery in progress in front of Jewel-Osco, 1128 Chicago Ave., Saturday evening.

A conflict arose between a 60-year-old Chicago man asking for spare change outside of the store and two other Chicago men, EPD Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The two Chicago men were charged with battery. Witnesses said the two men exchanged words with the man and then began to punch and beat him up. The 60-year-old man sustained no serious injuries. The 32- and 42-year-old men live in the same Chicago residence, although it is unknown if they are related.

They are scheduled to appear in court on March 20.

Homeless man arrested at movie theater

Evanston Police arrested a 50-year-old man for sneaking into a movie at Century 12 Evanston/CineArts 6, 1715 Maple Ave., without paying for a ticket on Saturday.

People in the theater observed Austin Castleberry allegedly reaching into a purse that didn’t belong to him and called the police. Castleberry claimed to be homeless, Parrott said, although the address listed for him was in Chicago. Castleberry is scheduled to appear in court on April 3.

— Ciara McCarthy

Evanston man arrested in connection with downtown Chicago shooting

Chicago police arrested an Evanston man on Thursday in connection with a January shooting at a downtown Chicago hotel.

Brian Miller allegedly shot a 25-year-old man in the leg during a party on the 22nd floor of the Palmer House Hilton Hotel in the heart of the Loop. Detectives investigating the case said everyone involved in the incident knew each other, the Chicago Tribune reported last month. The injured man was transferred to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for wound treatment.

Police arrested Miller in the 2700 block of S. California Avenue in Chicago and charged him with aggravated battery with a firearm, Chicago Police spokesman officer Veejay Zala said. The injured man identified Miller from a photo array, Zala said.

— Jia You

View Feb. 19 in a larger map