Students from NU-Qatar, Immigrant Connect to be featured on Big Ten Network

An episode on a Big Ten Network television series airing Wednesday night will highlight reporting initiatives at both Northwestern’s Evanston campus and Northwestern University in Qatar, according to a University news release.

Students from NU-Qatar’s journalism program in Doha and Immigrant Connect will be featured at 11 p.m. Wednesday night on “BTN LiveBig,” a new series piloted earlier this winter. The show focuses on spotlighting some of the non-athletic global initiatives that Big Ten institutions are engaging in. The episode will air after the Big Ten men’s basketball matchup between NU and the University of Wisconsin-Madison, which tips off at 8 p.m.

Created by Medill Prof. Jack Doppelt, the online network Immigrant Connect aggregates news and information for communities of Chicago immigrants and refugees. Offered as an elective class within the Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications, the project involves students writing articles for ImmigrantConnect.org and having them translated and spread to ethnic media sources in the Chicago area so they can be delivered to different immigrant communities. Additionally, the site includes sections where people can connect with each other and share their own stories.

Established in 2008 in conjunction with the Qatar Foundation, NU-Qatar is the University’s first international campus, where students there major in journalism or communications. Completing their coursework during the Arab Spring, NU-Qatar’s first class graduated last May.

TeamWorks Media, a Chicago creative media company specializing in visual content, social media and marketing, is co-producing the “BTN LiveBig” series with Big Ten Network. TeamWorks Media also produces “Impact the World,” another collaborative television series among the 12 Big Ten schools.

— Lauren Caruba