1st Ward challenger Edward Tivador says he offers ‘good communication and skillful collaboration’ Fiske lacks

1st Ward candidate Edward Tivador talks to an Evanston resident after launching his campaign to unseat Ald. Judy Fiske on Saturday in downtown Evanstons Fountain Square.
Manuel Rapada/Daily Senior Staffer
1st Ward candidate Edward Tivador talks to an Evanston resident after launching his campaign to unseat Ald. Judy Fiske on Saturday in downtown Evanston’s Fountain Square.

In a blustery Saturday campaign launch, 1st Ward alderman challenger Edward Tivador said he has the qualities needed to get things done in Evanston: good communication and skillful collaboration.

“I know the work is hard, but I know it’s important,” Tivador said. “I’m up for that challenge and I’m prepared and dedicated to all Evanstonians, especially those in (the 1st Ward).”

More than 25 supporters attended Tivador’s kick-off event Saturday morning in downtown Evanston’s Fountain Square. In the April 9 election, he will face Ald. Judy Fiske, who won election to the City Council in 2009.

The 1st Ward snakes its way from Dempster Street to Milburn Street.

Northwestern undergraduate residential buildings located west of Sheridan Road are included in the ward.

Campaign manager Kent Swanson introduced Tivador, superintendent of Northbrook/Glenview School District 30, as a man coming from one of the city’s high-rise buildings, what he called “the new Evanston.”

Tivador emphasized that he chose to live in Evanston and wants to make a great place even better, calling the city “a wonderful community with rich potential.”

Although Tivador did not grow up in Evanston — Swanson said Tivador moved to the city seven years ago — he does sit on the city’s citizens’ police advisory committee. Through the education advocacy organization ED-RED, Tivador has worked with state representatives on pension issues.

The challenger outlined his three priorities to promote the city’s quality of life in a fiscally responsible and equitable manner, all of which revolve around communication and collaboration he says Fiske lacks.

“My priorities are passionate,” Tivador said. “They’re clear and they reflect the ideas of whom I have been speaking to and listening with.”

On safety, Tivador said he wants to focus on the early identification and intervention of at-risk residents, as well as meet regularly with 1st Ward residents and other aldermen to improve community safety. Tivador also referenced a partnership with the University to ensure students and staff are safe.

In addition to developing a city economic plan that will keep and attract businesses, Tivador said he would review the city’s TIF districts to see how they are affecting taxpayers and local school districts. Ald. Coleen Burrus (9th), who has voted down establishment of TIF districts, is one of Tivador’s listed supporters.

Tivador also wants to use the arts to drive economic development and neighborhood revitalization, as well as keep the lakefront “welcoming and available” to residents.

The 1st Ward challenger’s three-point platform is “interrelated,” Tivador said Saturday, stressing that an alderman can’t accomplish ideas alone. That person needs good communication and skillful collaboration, he said.

“I know the value of good communication,” he said. “I know the value of collaboration. As I follow our city, I’m convinced my opponent doesn’t.”

This article has been updated for clarity. A previous version stated Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) won her 2009 election ‘narrowly.’ Ald. Fiske won with 63 percent of the vote.