Evanston coin dealer pleads guilty to ‘financial crimes enterprise’ charges

James Coello, owner of North Shore Coins, was charged and arrested for purchasing and selling stolen goods.
Daily file photo

An Evanston coin dealer pleaded guilty Wednesday to selling thousands of dollars of stolen coins and other valuables, the Chicago Tribune reported Friday.

James Coello owned North Shore Coins, 1501 Chicago Ave., in Evanston. Police arrested Coello, a Chicago resident, in September after an undercover operation by the Evanston Police and a six-month investigation. Undercover officers posed as burglars and sold merchandise to Coello, The Daily reported in October.

Coello was initially charged with felony counts of theft, organizing a financial crimes enterprise and continuing a financial crimes enterprise in September. He was arrested and held with bail set at $250,000.

Coello pleaded guilty to continuing a financial crimes enterprise. Cook County Circuit Court Judge Garritt Howard sentenced Coello to 36 months of probation and 100 hours of community service and ordered him to pay fees and fines, the Tribune reported. Coello changed his plea from not guilty to guilty on Wednesday. He told the Tribune that the change was the result of a plea bargain.

— Ciara McCarthy