New sushi restaurant to open near Central Street

Coast Sushi Bar, a Chicago-based restaurant, will open a new branch off Central Street in early February.

Coast Sushi & Sashimi’s new branch will be located at 2545 Prairie St., according to Chicago Magazine. The same publication also named the Chicago branch one of the best under-$30 restaurants in 2009.

Restaurant manager Parker Ulrich said the owners of the restaurant found the Central Street neighborhood attractive because of its proximity to the Northwestern student population. Ulrich said he is confident the restaurant will appeal to students who can now find sushi just north of campus.

“We’re really excited to get out of the city and go towards Evanston,” he said.

McCormick freshman Natalie Suarez said a sushi place near campus interests her.

“I’ve always been a fan (of sushi), so I hope I’d have the chance to go, if it’s within walking distance,” said Suarez, who lives in the Cultural and Community Studies Residential College on North Campus.

The restaurant will contribute to Evanston’s diverse dining scene and give new life to the neighborhood, said Ald. Jane Grover (7th), whose ward will host the restaurant.

“It will be a great addition to the already-lively Central Street business district and our fine dining landscape in Evanston,” Grover said. “We look forward to helping Coast Sushi Bar announce its opening and welcoming the restaurant to Evanston and the Central Street neighborhood.”

Suarez said she agrees new restaurants are important for Evanston.

“I’m really glad that there are a lot of great restaurants near campus,” she said.

The city did not finance the restaurant, said Erika Storlie, Evanston’s citizen engagement division manager. The owners will apply for a license from the Evanston Health Department, Storlie said.

The have already applied for work permits to renovate the space, Grover said.

Ulrich said the new restaurant will not differ much from the Chicago branch, which opened in March 2003. But the Evanston branch will feature a sushi belt with grilled items, he said.

The restaurant concept will remain the same, which boils down to offering above-average food and service to earn repeated customers, Ulrich said. He added he is confident the new branch will be just as successful as the Chicago one.

“We are going to stick to what we know,” he said.