Blotter: Jan. 22

Residential burglary occurs at unoccupied home

Unknown people broke into a house in the 2100 block of Washington Street sometime last week.

Evanston Police Department Cmdr. Jay Parrott said the burglary occurred sometime between Jan. 13 and Thursday. The house was vacant when intruders cut a screen and used a brick to break a window. Nothing of value was taken.

Evanston woman arrested in connection with battery

An Evanston woman was arrested Thursday in connection with a battery that occurred on Jan. 10.

Ebony Andrews, 27, was arrested at her home in the 300 block of Dempster Street at 10:15 a.m. Thursday, Parrott said. Andrews is accused of striking a woman on the head with the backside of the knife and punching the victim. The woman received four stiches in her head as a result of the battery. Andrews is scheduled to appear in court Feb. 28.

Chicago man arrested in connection with robbery

A Chicago man was arrested in connection with the strong-arm robbery of an 80-year-old woman, Evanston Police announced in a news release Saturday.

Police arrested Nelson Thomas, 19, on Friday evening with several charges. The robbery occurred on 11:15 a.m. Tuesday, when the Evanston woman left Charter One Bank, 525 Main St. Nelson allegedly approached the woman while she was walking westbound down Main Street and forcibly took her purse, according to a Wednesday news release. Nelson fled with the purse and two other subjects to the north alley of Main St. and left the area in a vehicle.

On Wednesday, EPD observed a vehicle matching witness descriptions of the one used by Nelson. After running the vehicle’s license plates, EPD learned the vehicle was stolen out of Chicago. Thomas was then taken into custody.

The woman identified Thomas in a line-up on Friday as the man who stole her purse. Police also recovered a bank card belonging to the woman when Thomas was arrested. The two people who accompanied Thomas at the time of the robbery were also identified, but no charges have been filed.

Thomas is scheduled to appear in court Jan. 30.

— Ciara McCarthy

View Jan. 22 in a larger map