Potential major changes on horizon for college football recruiting

The Division I Board of Directors will vote this weekend on multiple proposals that could radically alter the way college football coaches recruit high school athletes.

According to the proposals being reviewed, coaches can make off-campus contact with a recruit on a universal start date of the July 1 before the student’s junior year. Contact includes home visits, unregulated phone calls and electronic communication.

This proposal would also change a text-messaging ban, implemented in 2007, restricting coaches from texting students. If the legislation passes, a head coach or any of his assistants can send unlimited texts to a recruit. Other changes that could be taken would be the addition of six home visits from every school during a student’s junior year. Coaches are already allowed six home visits during the student’s senior year.

The main purpose of these possible changes is to make the NCAA rulebook simpler to understand in case of possible violation. NCAA president Mark Emmert said he wants to focus on rules that are meaningful, impactful and enforceable. Because some modern technology is not currently reflected in the rules, a coach’s email could potentially be turned into a text, which would result in a violation.

Because football teams are allowed to sign more recruits than any other sport, assistant coaches, who most often keep in touch with recruits, have the most to lose in this potential rule change. Coach Pat Fitzgerald has been openly against the proposal, saying he doesn’t see a need for change.

“I’m a fan of where we’re at right now,” Fitzgerald told ESPN.com’s Mitch Sherman. “I do not believe the system is broken. I think we need to consider the quality of life for the kids and their families and the quality of life for my assistant coaches.”

The board will vote on the proposals Saturday at the 2013 NCAA Convention.

— John Paschall