1st Ward candidate stays on ballot after resident withdraws objection

A 1st Ward resident withdrew her objection Friday to a challenger’s petition to run against incumbent Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) in the April election.

Barbara Janes, who currently sits on the city’s Rental Unit Licensing Committee with Fiske, filed an objection to Edward Tivador’s petitions on Jan. 3. In response, the city scheduled a meeting of the Municipal Officers Electoral Board for Friday at the Lorraine H. Morton Civic Center.

Before the board could review the objection, however, Janes’ attorney Scott Spears asked to withdraw the petition, citing Janes’ misunderstanding on the number of signatures required to run for 1st Ward alderman.

According to the Illinois Election Code, a candidate for 1st Ward alderman would need at least 53 signatures, representing 5 percent of the 1,064 ward residents who voted in the 1st Ward alderman race in 2009. That year, Fiske received more than 62 percent of the vote, defeating then-Ald. Cheryl Wollin.

Tivador, who serves as superintendent of Northbrook-Glenview School District 30, submitted 122 signatures, 19 above the maximum allowed by law. At the beginning of the meeting, city attorney Grant Farrar said the board would consider all of the signatures Tivador submitted.

The board, which consists of Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl, Ald. Ann Rainey (8th) and city clerk Rodney Greene, immediately approved a motion to accept the withdrawal, leaving Tivador on the ballot. Fiske joins Ald. Mark Tendam (6th) as the only Evanston aldermen facing opposition for re-election. The candidacy of Tendam’s opponent, Mark Sloane, was not challenged.

— Manuel Rapada