Clothes Lines: Men’s trends to freeze out this winter

As you come upon the Evanston chill, you’ll find many budding fashion crazes are better off in hibernation. Here are current trends that don’t have a place at Northwestern during Winter Quarter, or ever:

Untreated leather

Leather or leather-accented sneakers are becoming quite a popular thing, and I am a fan of them. Step into snow in untreated leather, though, and that flub will literally cost you — potentially a lot, depending on the damage and the item. Don’t ruin nice leather-trimmed bags or shoes in snow flurries between classes. Be sure to treat whatever leather you have brought to school so it won’t be damaged by snow or rain. Such precaution should be a leather owner’s basic instinct.

Snapbacks

To quote Theophilus London’s first verse in “Big Spender,” “You brought snapbacks back, well that’s a cool accomplishment.” No. Please don’t bring snapbacks back. Not here, not now. Sure, they are very stylish, but have you actually stepped outside yet and experienced this weather? For the season, consider your other options. Like beanies.

Meggings

The menswear version of jeggings or leggings: Yes, these tight tragedies actually exist. It was only a matter of time, I suppose. Are you an athlete or a dancer? No? Then don’t even go there. Compression leggings or long underwear are one thing as a climate-appropriate layer, but in casual dress, meggings never should have been a “thing” to begin with.

Designer letterman jackets

I’ll admit I really like the clever ways some everyday men have incorporated store-bought letter jackets into street wear. The look can be appealing. However, the concept is rather ridiculous and demotes this trend from a “do” to a “don’t.” For high school students who wear letterman jackets they earned for their athletic achievements, that is fine (so long as the high school jacket isn’t brought along to college). But what exactly does it mean to have a giant letter on the front of that jacket you just got at the mall? Is it your homage to Urban Outfitters? Or is it a badge branding you as “that guy” who still can’t let go of high school? For a jacket meant to commemorate accomplishments, the store-bought designer version is a trend that accomplishes nothing.