The Week That Was: Week of Nov. 25

The Undergraduate Psychology Association and NU Active Minds brought students together to discuss mental disorders and the stigma that surrounds them.

NU football triumphs over Illinois

In the last conference game of the season, Northwestern’s football team beat Illinois 50-14 at Ryan Field and reclaimed the Land of Lincoln Trophy. Junior quarterback Kain Colter and junior running back Venric Mark led the ground game. The NU offense dominated with eight different players scoring, while NU’s defense forced four turnovers. The Cats finished the season 9-3 overall and 5-3 in conference. It was a pleasure contributing to your nine consecutive losses, Illinois.

Weinberg junior commits suicide while studying abroad in London

The University released the unfortunate news of Weinberg junior Alyssa Weaver’s suicide this week. On behalf of the University, Patricia Telles-Irvin, vice president for student affairs, extended her sympathies to Weaver’s family and friends at NU. A vigil for Weaver is scheduled for 8 p.m. Thursday at The Rock. As fellow Wildcats, we offer our deepest condolences for this terrible loss.

Student groups present a panel on mental disorders, associated stigma

The Undergraduate Psychology Association and NU Active Minds hosted a panel in Harris Hall led by NU psychology Prof. Robin Nusslock for students to share their struggles with mental disorders. Many audience members responded positively to the panel, and given recent events, this type of discussion is even more timely and important.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel speaks on campus

Technological Institute’s Ryan Auditorium, LR2 and LR3 overflowed Wednesday as students waited for NU alumnus and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to speak about the 2012 presidential election and share his political experience as White House Chief of Staff for President Barack Obama. He was invited by University President Morton Schapiro as a part of One Book One Northwestern project, though it’s dubious many attendees actually read “Never a City So Real.”

The Week That Was: Week of Nov. 25