Wildcats let upset slip through fingers against Wolverines

The Wolverines stop the Wildcats on a fourth-and-one play in overtime Saturday. The Wolverines won the game 38-31.
Kaitlin Svabek/Daily Senior Staffer

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Northwestern had today’s game won with 18 seconds left and then it all disappeared.

Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner heaved a pass down the field and wide receiver Roy Roundtree caught the deflection to set the Wolverines up with a field goal to tie the game. The kick was good and Michigan (7-3, 5-1 Big Ten) scored a touchdown in overtime to beat No. 24 NU 38-31.

The Wildcats (7-3, 3-3) scored on their opening possession, becoming the first team to do so on the Wolverines defense all season. NU held a 10-point lead in the third quarter and the 3-point advantage late in the fourth quarter. Even after Michigan took a 28-24 lead, NU scored to retake the lead.

NU junior running back Venric Mark ran for 104 yards and a score and NU junior quarterback Kain Colter added 82 yards on the ground. Colter went 8-of-14 through the air for 96 yards. Sophomore Trevor Siemian was a much more efficient 6-of-7 for 87 yards and two touchdowns.

The Cats allowed Gardner to throw for 286 yards and throw for nearly 18 yards per pass. He added 47 yards rushing.

— Josh Walfish