Bad Showmance: Reality TV’s most surprising couples

If Jef Holm and Emily Maynard didn’t make it, is there any hope for reality TV love? Maybe the answer lies in unconventional methods. Dating shows with nontraditional formats could be crazy enough to work. Or maybe couples stand a better chance at making it when they meet through shows not meant to be relationship builders. These three couples put my theories to the test. Find out if these unexpected relationships were built to last or made to crash.

Vikki Mongeon and Trevor Lord  (“A Double Shot at Love“)

“A Double Shot at Love” aired on MTV from 2008-2009. In case you missed it, this was a dating show centered around bisexual twins, Rikki and Vikki AKA “the Ikki twins.” The two dated from the same pool of men and women, and in the end were to choose one person each or, dun dun dun … the same person. Low and behold, both Ikkis selected blonde skater, Trevor, and left the final decision up to him. He chose Vikki and Rikki was crushed. Shockingly and disgustingly, Vikki and Trevor continued to date out of the public eye because, like most MTV couples, no one cared. The exact timeline of their relationship is unclear, but ultimately Vikki decided to come forward on Aug. 4, 2010 in a blog post on the twins’ joint Myspace page titled, “ME and Trevor.” She wrote, “There were many reasons behind our break-up but I believe the biggest reason was Rikki and I both dated him and he picked me.” It is not my place to pass judgement on the couple. However, if there was any relationship not built to last, its one that starts with your identical twin’s ex.

Boston Rob and Amber Mariano (“Survivor All-Stars”)

Both Rob and Amber appeared separately on “Survivor” before meeting on the all-star season of the show. Between the two of them, they have two first place victories, one second place win, player of the season and three baby girls. When the two met on season eight of the CBS reality show, they received a lot of speculation that their romance-laced alliance was purely strategical. However, the two proved their critics wrong at the reunion of that same season. Amber sported an “I ♥ Rob” t-shirt and before the votes were counted, Rob popped the question. Seven years later, they are still happily married. You can check in with Boston Rob on RHAP to hear more of his reality love story and his thick-as-ever Bah-ston accent.

Kasey Kahl and Vienna Girardi (“Bachelor Pad 2”)

You might remember Vienna from Jake Pavelka’s season of “The Bachelor,” and you’ll definitely remember Kasey as the frog-voiced tattoo guy from Ali Fedotowsky’s season of “The Bachelorette.” The infamous contestants went public with their relationship in April 2011, shocking and nauseating many. The two appeared together on “Bachelor Pad 2” (along with Vienna’s ex, Jake) and successfully creeped everyone out. They annoyed their roommates and the audience with their constant bickering and pointless conversations. They reportedly split in November 2011, but decided to appear, as many dysfunctional minor celebrities do, on VH1. They took their drama to season one of “Couples Therapy” but remain broken up today.

— Allison Lasher