Making the Most of It: Cooking in bulk

Cooking for one can be tough. How do you reduce a recipe intended to serve eight down to a single portion? Can you actually measure one-eighth of one-half of a teaspoon of cumin? Is it even possible to buy a single chicken breast at Jewel? Though the more ambitious might attempt this feat of division, us less mathematically inclined folks are probably better off sticking to the original measurements.

So, what’s the best thing about hardly making a dent in the huge meal you just whipped up? Leftovers. Did you enjoy your concoction the first time around? Well, you’re in luck, because you can have it for seven more meals! With a little bit of foresight and a basic understanding of refrigerated preservation, one evening of cooking will leave you fully stocked and worry-free (at least in the food department) for the following week.

These are three of my favorite recipes that are not only delicious, but also keep well.

Eggplant Parmesan — eight servings (adapted from epicurious.com)

This tasty dish composed primarily of meaty eggplant, succulent tomato sauce and creamy mozzarella, will fill you up the first time and leave you excited to keep eating it for future meals. Though a bit tricky in the preparatory stages, once you’ve got it in the oven you can sit back and enjoy the Italian aromas emanating from your kitchen. I recommend making the tomato sauce a day in advance to avoid extra steps during actual prep time.

• 2 1/2 lbs medium eggplants (about 3), cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
  • 3 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 5 lbs plum tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 20 fresh basil leaves, torn in half
  • 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 5 large eggs
  • 3 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
  • 2/3 cup finely-grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 lb chilled mozzarella, thinly sliced

1. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt over the eggplant slices and set them in a colander to drain.

2. Cut an “X” in the bottom of each tomato with a paring knife and toss all the tomatoes into a 5-quart pot of boiling water to blanch. Remove from the water after one minute, allow to cool and then peel off skins.

3. Coarsely chop tomatoes and then puree them in a blender or food processor until slightly chunky. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in the 5-quart pot and then add and saute the garlic until golden brown (approximately 30 seconds). Add in tomato puree, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and red pepper flakes, and allow to simmer until thick (about 25 to 30 minutes).

4. Preheat oven to 375°F.

5. Combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a shallow bowl. Beat eggs in another shallow bowl, then stir breadcrumbs and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese together in a third bowl.

6. One by one, cover eggplant slices in flour, dip them in egg and then coat them completely in breadcrumbs. Place each slice on sheet of wax paper.

7. Heat remaining oil in a nonstick skillet over a moderately high heat, then fry eggplant slices, flipping once, until golden brown (about 5 to 6 minutes per batch). Use tongs to place cooked eggplant onto paper towels to drain.

8. Place 1 cup of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 13- by 11-inch baking pan. Arrange about one third of the eggplant slices in a layer over sauce. Cover eggplant with about one third of the remaining sauce and approximately one third of the mozzarella. Continue alternating layers of eggplant, sauce and mozzarella. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over the top.

9. Bake uncovered until the cheese has melted and the sauce bubbles (about 35 to 40 minutes).

Spicy Lentil Burgers  10 servings (adapted from 101cookbooks.com)

This recipe is great for vegetarians and carnivores alike, yielding a good number of thick patties. Whether you eat them with or without the bun, these burgers are healthy and guilt-free! I like to dress mine up with lettuce, red onion and tomato, adding my personal fave Greek yogurt-garlic-chili powder mixture in lieu of mayo or mustard. Eat however many you want while they’re hot off the skillet, but toss the leftovers in the freezer when you’re done. When you want another, just pop the patty into the oven for five to six minutes and it will be as good as new!

• 3 cups cooked lentils
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 cup toasted fine bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1. Combine lentils, eggs and salt in food processor and puree until the mixture is only slightly runny. Pour into mixing bowl and add onion. Add breadcrumbs and allow mixture to sit for a few minutes to thicken up. You should now have something you can form into patties. If the mixture is still too runny, add more breadcrumbs. If the opposite is true, add more water or egg.

2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-low heat and add four patties, allowing them to cook for about seven to 10 minutes or until the bottoms begin to brown. Flip the patties over and cook for another seven minutes. Remove heat and place on wire rack to cool.

Simple Beef Chili six servings (adapted from food.com)

With winter creeping steadily closer, this hearty chili recipe is sure to keep you warm, snow or shine. The earthy, vegetable taste of the beans heats up with the chili powder, giving this chunky goodness an extra kick. Put the leftovers into the refrigerator and stick in the microwave for two minutes to reheat. It can also be frozen! Store in quart-size freezer bag, let thaw overnight in fridge and reheat on the stove when you want to start eating it again.

• 1 lb extra lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (15 -16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1. Cook beef, onion and garlic in 3-quart saucepan until meat browns completely.

2. Add in remaining ingredients except beans.

3. Heat to a boil, then reduce temperature to low.

4. Cover pot and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

5. Add in beans.

6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.

7. Simmer uncovered (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.

Making the Most of It: Cooking in bulk