While you were gone: Top City stories from summer

Smith+%28center%29+of+Youth+Job+Center+stresses+the+necessity+of+higher+education+in+finding+employment+
Rommel Morales/The Daily Northwestern
Smith (center) of Youth Job Center stresses the necessity of higher education in finding employment

Some students miss robbery alerts

Some Northwestern students reported not receiving University email alerts about armed robberies in Evanston. During one weekend in August, NU sent out two email alerts after a 16-year-old and three female NU students were robbed in separate incidences. Students not taking summer classes were not notified about that weekend’s incidents, even if they were still living in Evanston during the summer.

All students and some alumni, however, received NU Emergency Management emails this summer notifying them about a power outage on the Fourth of July and a gas leak less than two weeks later.

Evanston Police mistakenly handcuff Northwestern professor’s son

The Evanston Police Department is conducting an internal investigation after an officer wrongfully detained the 13-year-old son of Medill professor Ava Thompson Greenwell. Greenwell’s son, Diwani, matched the description of a burglary suspect: a black male wearing blue cargo shorts.

Greenwell told The Daily that the experience was “the worst 10 minutes of my life as a parent.” Three aldermen later apologized to her during the city’s Human Services Committee meeting, Evanston Now reported. In an op-ed posted to CNN last week, Greenwell wrote that “[Diwani’s] crime appeared to be that he was a black male.” She filed suit Sunday against the city and the officer who handcuffed her son, Patch reported Monday.

Evanston reports human cases of West Nile virus

Evanston has not been spared from the latest nationwide outbreak of West Nile virus. As of the last week of August, there were six human cases of the virus in Evanston, said city spokesman Eric Palmer. In response, the North Shore Mosquito Abatement District scheduled adult mosquito spraying operations in Evanston for Aug. 28 and Sept. 11.

Evonda Thomas, director of the Evanston Health Department, said the number of West Nile virus cases in Evanston ultimately depends on the existence of standing water, which provides a breeding ground for mosquitos.

CTA cuts 201 Night Route as part of decongestion plan

The Chicago Transit Authority board approved a crowding reduction plan that will eliminate an overnight bus serving Evanston. The plan, which was developed with Northwestern’s Transportation Center, will add service to 48 bus routes and discontinue 12 others, including the 201 Night Route.

Currently running as early as 1 a.m. on weekdays to later than 6 a.m. on Sunday, the 201 Night Route offers an alternative for Evanston-bound passengers after the Purple Line stops service. Before service changes take effect on Dec. 16, CTA is planning community meetings to inform passengers about the upcoming adjustments.

Youth advocates call for collaboration among families, social service agencies

Curt’s Cafe, a nonprofit restaurant that employs and trains ex-offender youth in the restaurant business, hosted a panel discussion on local youth issues Sept. 18. Five community leaders joined to address problems of racism, poverty and lack of services.

Panelists were Kevin Brown, city youth programs manager; Missy Carpenter, Youth Organizations Umbrella community schools manager; Bill Geiger, CEO of McGaw YMCA; Sacella Smith, education director of Youth Job Center; Susan Trieschmann, owner of Curt’s Cafe and Kathy Lyons, executive director of The James B. Moran Center for Youth Advocacy. Two recent Evanston Township High School graduates, Charles Jefferson and Grarg Tertulien, represented the youth perspective while ETHS Superintendent Eric Witherspoon moderated.