Blotter: Nov. 3

Man robbed at gunpoint

A 53-year-old Evanston man was robbed of his cell phone Monday after three strangers accosted him in the street.

Officers received a call at approximately 8:08 p.m. Monday from an Evanston resident who had been walking home alone on the 1800 block of Grant Street when three men robbed him, Evanston Police Cmdr. Tom Guenther said.

The Evanston man said one of the three men pointed a silver handgun at him and asked if he was carrying anything valuable. He handed over his wallet, but since it didn’t contain any money, the three men returned it and asked if he had anything else. The Evanston man then handed over his Virgin Mobile cell phone of unknown value. The three strangers took the cell phone and fled eastbound on Grant Street. The resident continued to walk home, notifying police when he arrived.

White paint splashed over car

A Skokie high school teacher’s car was splashed with white paint sometime between 9 p.m. Monday and 7:40 p.m. Tuesday, Cmdr. Tom Guenther said.

Officers responded to the 1200 block of Hull Terrace and met with the owner of the vehicle, who said her black Honda had been vandalized. The passenger side of the vehicle appeared to have been splashed with white paint. Officers checked other vehicles in the area and none were similarly vandalized, Guenther said.

The teacher told police she suspected the act was connected to issues with her students, but could not give any specifics.

EPD is currently investigating the case.

– Susan Du

View Nov. 3 in a larger map